For the past two weeks I have been taking my rest stop in Chiang Mai, here I have been waste-deep in my work; writing some articles that I wanted to write, become better at photo editing, working through all the photos that I captured over the past four months, and getting some thinking done about what I would like to do this year. This article will be a brief one and will focus on the last point listed here; my plans for 2018, in particular my travel plans.
Asia to Europe Overland
So, the crux of my idea is to travel from Asia to Europe overland. This is something that I have wanted to do for years, in fact I really wanted to travel the world from Sydney and back to Sydney only using land and sea transport. For most of 2017 I had been learning sailing for this possibility. However, I couldn't do that this time as it required that I sail from Darwin to Singapore at a certain time in the year, and the time that I was leaving Australia was unfortunately cyclone season. Fortunately, I can still travel from Asia to Europe overland, this is actually the easy part as there are trains almost the entire way, which I plan to leverage quite a lot. The main train which I plan to catch is called the Trans-Siberian Express, which you can read about of this fantastic website.
Without further adieu, here is my journey plan:
- (Done: 23/1/18) Fly to Ho Chi Minh City from Chiang Mai,
- (In Progress) Travel up through Vietnam for one month, eventually arriving at Hanoi,
- Cross the border to Laos overland,
- Travel through through Laos and down to Cambodia,
- Cross the border to and travel through Cambodia,
- Cross border back to Vietnam and travel to HCMC,
- Catch overnight train to Hanoi,
- Spend week in Hanoi to organise Chinese Visa then travel overland to Yunnan,
- Visit Yunnan, Sichuan, and other provinces to eventually arrive at Beijing,
- Travel from Beijing to Mongolia,
- Visit Mongolia,
- Travel through Russia watching some FIFA games,
- Arrive in Moscow,
- Travel down through Europe by train,
- Eventually arrive in Morocco.
That's the plan! I'll continue to update this page as my travel plans change. Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Check out my Instagram to see my photographic works allow the way.
Laos & Cambodia (1/2/18)
Added Laos and Cambodia to itinerary to see these countries while in the region, and to slow down the journey to arrive in Russia during summer to get the best weather and to watch the FIFA games.